Thursday, October 16, 2014

normal


                                                       one thing I ask of the LORD,
                                             this is what I seek:
                                        that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
                                             all the days of my life,
                                        to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
                                             and to seek Him in His temple.
                                                               Psalm 27:4


                                                         when "normal" stays normal
                                                    when the season is just so comfortable
                                                                   that I settle in
                                                                          for an extended stay
                                                                                  complacency lies in waiting
                                                                              so easy to rely on self
                                                                           to think all is under control
                                                                 to take my eyes off the Master Conductor
                                                            convinced I know my lifesong
                                                      or at least am able to sightread well enough
                                                                        to keep one beat ahead

                                                       time with Jesus lessens 
                                                   hearing His voice above the noise of life
                                                                       more difficult
                                                                           rhythm struggles against rhythm
                                                                        harmonies dissonant
                                                                     melodies once soaring hang low
                                                                         gradually I find myself
                                                                                                  falling
                                                                                                into
                                                                                             the fog of the heart
                                                                                        where fear brings
                                                                                   me to a stop as
                                                                                the music slows

                                              

                                                    it is then that He often gently removes my "normal"
                                                        replacing it with a new normal
                                                        reminding me that normal exists not
                                                    He leads me out of the season I thought home
                                                into a new season
                                            all the while lifting my chin
                                         so my eyes lock with His own eyes
                                     His beauty once again overwhelms my heart
                                 I realize how far I have strayed
                                            how broken I am
                                                     never does He condemn
                                                            rather He draws me close to His heart
                                                                   opening my eyes so I can hear
                                                                         my ears so I can see
                                                                              my heart so I can feel
                                                                                    His presence
                                                                                     His warmth

                                                     worship and thankfulness and adoration
                                                  bring me back to the place of seeking
                                             of longing to be in His presence
                                          knowing that only He can satisfy
                                                     only He can fill emptiness gnawing 
                                                               only He can replace fear with peace
                                                                          as I rest in the light of His glory




                                                 

                                               
                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment